Who are e-on next?
e-on next is one of the UK’s ‘big six’ energy companies, serving around 5.1 million residential and business accounts with electricity and gas.
A key challenge for e-on next in recent years has been the collection of small amounts of final balance debt.
e-on next’s previous approach to chasing this debt involved either sending a paper letter reminder, or having a call centre operative contact the customer, but this represented two main problems.
The first was that 55% of customers chased had already moved home, so the communication went unanswered. The second was that the cost of sending a paper letter or making a call would often outweigh the value of the balance owed.
What were e-on next looking for?
e-on next came to Esendex to seek out a solution with the following prerequisites:
- A strategy which promoted friendly, fair, non-intrusive customer contact.
- The solution should use mobile-focused, intelligent, self serve technology adding convenience for the customer, and reducing the cost to serve.
- The new workflow should work to replace any reliance on outbound activity from e-on next’s voice broadcast centre resource.
- The solution should use the most cost-effective communication channel, based on the contact details available, with the ability to switch between communication channels as required.
What are the benefits for e-on next?
- 19% of customers approached for payment through the new workflow made a payment, compared to 4% with the previous workflow.
- 82% of payments were for the full amount owed.
- When compared to the cost of sending a paper letter, notification of overdue payment through SMS broadcast was 16%, Email 1%, and automated voice messages 50%.
- Receiving a payment through the Esendex platform costs just 30% of the cost of receiving a payment via a call.
How was this achieved?
Esendex worked with e-on next to create a solution which employs a combination of communication channels including text marketing, email, outbound voice blasts and Esendex’s bespoke mobile web app, Mobile Journeys.
A decision engine determines the best channel and message to send to each customer based on available contact details, amount owed, and reason for leaving.
The customer is given several self-serve payment options, including a dedicated mobile payment portal (pictured).
If a message sent via SMS doesn’t elicit a response, another channel such as email will be automatically deployed. Equally, messages automatically stop once a successful outcome is reached.
A detailed set of reports inform e-on next about payments taken and the status of contacted customers.
“Esendex have managed to construct and successfully deliver a cost-effective solution that allows significant value to be found in pursuing small debt amounts.”
RICHARD DIXON – CAPABILITY AND DELIVERY MANAGER – e-on next
More from e-on next
“This was an opportunity to utilise a digitally driven strategy removing the need for traditional paper correspondence and potentially lengthy call volumes.
The use of an Esendex provided payment platform created a quick and easy way for our customers to pay off their outstanding debts whilst on the go, and the uplift in payments is proving how popular and successful this platform is.
Aside from the technical work provided by Esendex I would also like to stress how painless the process has been for us right from design through to delivery”.
Richard Dixon – Capability and Delivery Manager – e-on next
Build Powerful SMS Campaigns
No contracts, no hidden fees, and no credit card information required to get started.Create Account
Explore Our Business Texting Blog Topics
The Esendex blog has the latest content for all of your customer communication needs.
What Is Mass Texting & How Does It Work?
Businesses can utilize SMS marketing in a number of ways, such as through a long code or short code. Short codes...Read More
What Is SMS Marketing & Why Use It?
SMS marketing is a term that's often thrown around when companies are talking about their communication...Read More
SMS vs. MMS (What's the Difference)
Mobile phones have become a commodity. Today, people use cellular devices to connect with the world...Read More
Products for a range of use cases
Texting API designed to send & receive SMS & MMS globally using a short code or 10DLC number.Learn More
Easy to use SMS software that can send & receive SMS & MMS using a short code or 10DLC number.Learn More Resell SMS
Powerful voice API that sends mass automated phone calls quickly to mobile & landline devices.Learn More
Verify mobile & landline numbers, find service providers, & define time zones to restrict calling times.Learn More
It’s Easy To Get Started
Create your account and receive credits for any of our mass communication APIs or software.